Thursday, September 19, 2013

Things A-Brewin'!

Last weekend I went to Dunedin's first Craft Beer and Food Festival.  It was a hit!  It was SO awesome to have breweries from around the south island in one spot to sample deliciousness after deliciousness.

Emerson's made a special festival brew with Whittakers chocolate - this stout was so yum!  It had just the right amount of chocolate in it (I love the taste of stout, so too much chocolate would have made me sad).  My favorite beers came from Velvet Worm.  Hands down.  They totally rocked my taste buds.  I've had cravings for their Periportous Pale Ale ever since I left the festival!  The Eve of Jupiter Red Ale was also pretty darn tasty.  The word on the street is that Velvet Worm is served up at local restaurants and thus I am on a mission to suss out exactly where I can get more (Dunedin Malt House looks like a promising spot to get my fix if I'm not looking for nibbles to go with my pint).  Golden Eagle Brewery's Big Yank American IPA really impressed me - I may have been nostalgic and felt like I was right back in the States when I sipped it (overstatement? Maybe. But give 'em a try if you can get your hands on this stuff!).  The last beer stop of the day was at Twisted Hop.  They had a heated mulled cherry beer that was sooooo delightful in that c-c-c-c-cold stadium.  The day finished up with music by Sola Rosa - man, were they FUN!

Now that I've tasted everyone else's beers, I probably should get around to brewing my own.  iMake donated Mangrove Jack's Series brew kits to the Otago University Brewers Association and so all OUBA members will have a crack with them.  Funsies!  But, before I do that I need to bottle the plum wine that I started back in March.  The color looks good and it doesn't smell funky, so I think it's ready to be consumed in the near future. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment