Friday, October 18, 2013

McLean Falls


Last Saturday, Will and I took the scenic route to Invercargill.  I had my hopes set on seeing the Cathedral Caves, but the access road is closed until November. Grrr.  So, instead we stopped at Kaka Point and McLean Falls.

It was a lovely day to be out and wandering around.


When is the last time that you saw a sign with a picture of a smiling skull warning you of danger?  (Possums are a terrible nuisance in New Zealand, by the way.)


The ~15 minute walk to McLean Falls was pleasant (with the exception of a few sandflies).  I would put this detour on my top picks for things to do/places to see in this part of New Zealand!




The weather turned as we headed back to the carpark and so we weren't able to stop for more sightseeing.  But, on Sunday we got out and took a small trip to Riverton... home of the Southland Marathon starting line.  I was quite happy just strolling around the beach out there and admiring the sky.


This weekend I'm returning to the Pineapple Track for a mini hike in preparation for my first totally-planned-all-by-myself tramping trip next week!!  It'll be Labour Day weekend in New Zealand and I decided I'd spend it on a challenging yet rewarding 58k (36 miles) circuit that may include a jet boat trip to the track access.  Cool, huh?! I'm STOKED!

No comments:

Post a Comment