Sunday, May 25, 2014

Two places you must visit: Sandfly Bay and Queenstown

One of my favorite people in Salem, MA came for a visit a little while back.  It was soooo good to see Meg and share the experience of living in New Zealand with her!  She was only in the country for seven days, so I didn't have much time to show her around.

One of her requirements was to see penguins, so we went looking for them at Sandfly Bay.  


It was a rather steep sandy walk down to the beach.  We saw a few 'guins and a few seals, too.  We also noticed that storm clouds were gathering and decided not to stay too long.  I MUST return to this beach again.  It was really pretty!


We did some other touristy things in Dunners like checking out the views from Signal Hill and Mt. Cargill, and sipping hot chocolates at the new Cadbury World Cafe.  We also took a wee side trip down to the Catlins to wander the Cathedral Caves and Nugget Point.

During her stay, we traveled with two New Zealand friends to Queenstown, expecting to find ourselves in some sort of shenanigans.  Despite our best efforts we kept things relatively tame (at least that's what I tell my mom). 

I introduced Meg to tramping by taking her up a steep 2-hour track to the lift for the luge ride.  It wasn't easy, but we were met with glorious views.


Not a bad place to go for a ride, huh?!


I loved the luge - zipping around the corners and trying to pass the slow pokes.  Why haven't I done it before?!  Well, it's rather pricey ($20 for two rides that last about 2 minutes), but it's just soooo fun.  My recommendation is to keep an eye out for luge deals on GrabOne or BookMe.


I've now had five visitors from the U.S.  Everyone loves New Zealand - the scenery, the nice people, the "cute" cultural quirks (like the road signs that politely ask people to give way).  I've noticed that people enjoy themselves more when they are prepared for al the walking we do.  Yes, there are plenty of activities that don't involve physical exertion (train rides and cruises come to mind), but I think being out there and walking around is a better way to experience New Zealand.  So, all future visitors: bring your walking shoes and consider building up your walking fitness a little before you arrive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment