Monday, December 02, 2013

The Americans are coming!

I'm just a couple months shy of celebrating two years of living in New Zealand! Time has flown by and there's a lot of work left to do for my PhD.  Lately, I've been prepping to run focus groups with Maori and Pacific Island women, writing a bit here and there in my thesis chapters and gearing up for our website development so that I can run a feasibility study later in 2014.  On the side, I'm revising a manuscript that didn't hack it for a public health journal and working as a research assistant on two projects (measuring length/weight for babies in our Baby Lead Introduction to Solids Study and getting survey materials mailed out for a study on economic shock and resiliency of small New Zealand towns).

It's beautiful days like the one that we had today that make it soooo hard to stay inside and do all the work, though.  I'm hopeful that the weather continues to stay this nice as I'm having my first visitor from the U.S. coming for a visit!!  We'll be tramping on the Kepler track and I could just burst from excitement!

Since it's just about summer time in Dunedin, I'm also hoping for more frequent tramping adventures, which means I'll update the blog a little more regularly.  I'm pretty sure folks would find that more interesting than reading about my recent experience running focus groups with mid-age New Zealand women to get their opinions on our intervention or my days spent stuffing hundreds of survey packets to mail to residents of some small towns in New Zealand. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment