Thursday, December 19, 2013

A great walk around the Kepler Track

I present to you....

My most recent tramping trip on the Kepler Track!

Day one: Walk to Luxmore Hut from the control gates.

Side trip to Luxmore Cave.

Each visitor needs two sources of light... head torches and iPhones don't exactly cut it!

Day two: BEAUTIFUL weather as we set off on the walk to Iris Burn hut.

On top of the world...can you spot the trampers?

Hello, Lake Te Anau!  View from Mt Luxmore.

The road ahead....

Glorious, glorious mountains.

I love feeling so small when tramping... 
The world is big and beautiful and I'm lucky to see these little corners of it.

Lakes + mountains = awesomeness, like whoa

Once upon a time, I sat with my dad on the top of a mountain in the Adirondacks crying because being up so high scared me.   Imagine all that I would have missed out on if he didn't teach me how to harden up?! Thank you, Dad! I've been hiking around New Zealand's south island for nearly two years and I always wish that he could be here to experience this with me. 

A friend yells, "Come on in, the water's fine!"

Hands down my favorite part of the track.

FIRST KEA SIGHTING!

It looks cute, but it is capable of stealing and/or destroying belongings!

Yes, this is part of the same track!

The sandflies were a little outrageous at Iris Burn hut, so no pictures of the hut... just the valley it sits in.

Passed Moturau hut on day three as we walked from Irish Burn back to the car (30k).  
It's got one helluva view of the lake!  


Kepler was a GREAT track to walk on, but Routeburn is still my fav.  I'll get a chance to tramp up on the north island next week. Yahoooooo!




No comments:

Post a Comment