Tuesday, August 20, 2013

AUSTRALIA!

Time to get back to blogging!



It's been several weeks since I presented at the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science World Conference in Sydney, Australia.  I presented my analysis of the association between psychological flexibility and body mass index change/stability over 3 years in a sample of middle-age New Zealand women (basically, baseline Acceptance and Action Questionnaire-II scores did not predict BMI change (gaining/losing weight) nor BMI stability (staying within 3% of baseline BMI).  The presentation had a few hiccups, but the rest of the conference was FANTASTIC.

I had the opportunity to listen to speakers like:


I was particularly interested in the talks related to interventions delivered online and via smartphone apps.  Jonathan Bricker's work was particularly interesting - his smartphone app really caught my eye because it uses ACT for smoking cessation and his presentations gave me a few things to think about as I get ready to start developing a web-based intervention for weight gain prevention.

I spent most of my days at the conference, but I stayed at a hostel in nearby Coogee (I honestly cannot recommend the hostel for a variety of reasons...travelers to Coogee would do themselves a huge favor by avoiding the place I stayed at).  Despite the less than ideal accommodations, the beach was pleasant to walk around before heading off to the conference.


I wasn't able to spend much time in Sydney, but I did treat myself to a harbor cruise - that was cool!







It was a nice way to wrap up my travels in the southern hemisphere before my trip home - the first visit in 1 1/2 years!



Next stop - San Fran then Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment